Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
WebRing Managers Community - Untitled document One of the original and largest Ring Manager rings, promoting individual WebRings since 1998

Forums     Login   Signup

WebRing Managers Community

Manager: wrug
WebRing Managers WebRing presents the WebRing Managers Forum, a place for WebRing Managers to discuss ideas, ethics, tactics, etc. This Forum is for WebRing discussion only and is closely moderated.

Sponsored Links

PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE PARTICIPATING
A Note on Pendings
  For those processing new submissions we'd like to offer these reminders/bit
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 1 of 1
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Comments on Adoption - 02/11/2006
Many of the recent posts have commented on adoption. Here is my 2 cents.

The comments on adoption seem to have been made on an unchallenged assumption that adoption is a good thing.

I'd ask this question: why have adoption at all? That is, when the ringmaster of a webring abandons a webring, why not let it die?

(Note that, for this discussion, I'm expressly treating abandonment different to an overt attempt to terminate/delete the webring.)

Why not let it die?

The reason I can see is that the MEMBERS of the webring have invested some in belonging to the webring and might wish to preserve their investment.

Of course, this investment is substantially less than the old days when actual navigation had to be added to a page for each and every membership. But even so, there is that rationale.

Besides the MEMBERS wishing to continue the webring, what possible reason is there for not letting the webring just die?

I raise this point because, for me, it points to the answer to the adoption question.

For me, the ONLY rationale for adoption is to enable the MEMBERS to preserve their membership in a webring which has become abandoned.

For me, the ONLY people that it makes sense to offer the webring to are the members. If none of the members want it enough to take it ... let it die.

That raises the question of "which member"?

How about the one who owns the fewest webrings (of those who respond)?

Maybe even the member who doesn't own ANY, who might find adopting one a way to get started ... to step into one that is already operational as a way to learn.

James S. Huggins

to contact me:
http://www.JamesSHuggins.com/webring-email

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy