Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
WebRing Managers Community - Untitled document One of the original and largest Ring Manager rings, promoting individual WebRings since 1998

Forums     Login   Signup

WebRing Managers Community

Manager: wrug
WebRing Managers WebRing presents the WebRing Managers Forum, a place for WebRing Managers to discuss ideas, ethics, tactics, etc. This Forum is for WebRing discussion only and is closely moderated.

Sponsored Links

PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE PARTICIPATING
A Note on Pendings
  For those processing new submissions we'd like to offer these reminders/bit
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 25 - 27 of 27
< Prev 8   All Threads |   All Posts   ]

To WebRing Team (or to it might concern) - 02/15/2006
we don't get copies of emails, no. But put into the close ring info box (on the join settings page) the fact that it's being merged, and with which Ring it's being merged. Including the other Ring's hub page URL is good so that people can go visit that one while the merging is being done.

The other option is to try to make the Ring different from the others it is a dupe of. Rather than "all things star wars", for example, pick one episode or character, etc.

Replied - 02/16/2006
Spunkysmom..At one time, inexperienced managers were getting rings before experienced, which is good.

But what is an experienced ring manager? As I have said before if a member can create a website, perform simple tasks such as copy and paste and manage an email address then surely that makes them quite capable of ascertaining as to whether or not a site fits is with a particular topic, and to a able to select a button which says accept or deny. From what I can see no additional skills are required to manage a webring.

Replied - 02/16/2006
emmajones....
But what is an experienced ring manager? As I have said before if a member can create a website, perform simple tasks such as copy and paste and manage an email address then surely that makes them quite capable of ascertaining as to whether or not a site fits is with a particular topic, and to a able to select a button which says accept or deny. From what I can see no additional skills are required to manage a webring.
==========

I agree with you on the ability to decide whether a site belongs in a ring. That's not hard. But there is nore to managing than pressing a button. To me, it is the capability to be responsible, consistent, and of assistance to my members.

Some managers choose not to help their members and ask that they be html proficient. That is their decision. However WYSIWYG editors make it so that anyone can put up a webpage. As long as the editor can take code and convert it, it is not a problem. I have on occasion, edited a member's page at their request. I try not to do that too often and ask that the member learn how to do it.

I've been doing this long enough to tell you that a good percentage do not understand the aspects of the SSNB code and why the code has to be on certain pages. Many think that this is too much detail and harder than it should be.

AS for the consistency part: I expect my members sites to have passing code. I keep my code passing. For all three memberships. On occasion I recognize where the ring checker doesn't recognize the code but I can see the navbar. I will toggle it off of auto-management. But I keep the site as passing, so it doesn't reflect on poor management.

Just my opinion.

< Prev 8   All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy