Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
WebRing Managers Community - Untitled document One of the original and largest Ring Manager rings, promoting individual WebRings since 1998

Forums     Login   Signup

WebRing Managers Community

Manager: wrug
WebRing Managers WebRing presents the WebRing Managers Forum, a place for WebRing Managers to discuss ideas, ethics, tactics, etc. This Forum is for WebRing discussion only and is closely moderated.

Sponsored Links

PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE PARTICIPATING
A Note on Pendings
  For those processing new submissions we'd like to offer these reminders/bit
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 9 - 11 of 11
< Prev 8   All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Need a L'l Help = A L'l More Mud & Straw Please! - 01/31/2007
For me, it is like telling my credit card company to not tell me I'm over limit. While I wouldn't do that (I like to know when I'm over limit), I still think I should have the ability to tell them not to bother me about it.

right. they won't bother you. they'll simply cut you off and eventually cancel your account and ruin your credit,

You can stop this line of reasoning, because it isn't a worakable line of reasoning and you will continue to get advisory emails until you either add money or update the settings on the ring. this is not hard to do, nor is it unsreasonable.

More important than anything else - we will NOT cater to managers that manage a lot of rings. Our focus is fully and completely on managers that are managing out of direct and genuine interest in the topic of the rings they do manage AND an interest in developing and participating in those communities. Passive management is not management. Turing off emails so you "are not bothered" is also not what we see as good management.

Replied - 01/31/2007
= = = = = = = = = =
One of the many ways that managers still have control over management duties - just what you claim has disappeared from the "pure" days of rings - which never was that way, BTW. Do you recall the days of next 5, previous 5, AND list (hub) pages? Has there ever been a day when webring did NOT have a directory? You are aware, I'm sure, that Sage sold advertising on WebRing?
= = = = = = = = = =

Again, forgive me. I've been ill. I'm having some difficulty parsing the above linguistic constructions.

In looking over my prior postings, I cannot find that I ever made reference of any kind to "pure days of rings".

I do find a reference to PEOPLE who I described as "purists". But I don't believe I ever used that label to describe the system.

To answer your questions, I'm unaware of any time (except EUROPa of course) when webrings didn't offer some sort of hub and listing pages. I am aware of a time when a webring owner could decide whether or not to use them.

I do recall that at that early stage the individualwebring owners could have their HUB page listed in the navigation and that their HUB page could be a page on their own site, promoting their own site, even as that page described in some detail the history, concept, purpose and requirements of their webring. It is one reason I applauded WebRing.com's decision to return SOME level of functionality to that concept, and also why I requested the system change to provide FULL functionality of that concept.

I had read that advertising was sold early. I do not have a personal memory of it. Just my faulty memory. But I had read that. For my part, I'm not aware of ever expressing a personal opposition to some level and form of advertising, nor am I aware of ever expressing a personal opposition to having the system turn a profit. To the contrary, I recall expressing a personal tolerance for some level of advertising some years ago ... and I believe it might have been on this forum.

James S. Huggins

to contact me: http://JSH.us/webring-email

Replied - 01/31/2007
= = = = = = = = = =
Turing off emails so you "are not bothered" is also not what we see as good management.
= = = = = = = = = =

Here, I guess we differ. For me, asking the system to feature me when I have money but to leave me alone when I don't have money has nothing whatsoever to do with good or bad management. It has to do with spending money.

I can understand your views about "bad management" in many other areas ... areas that affect members.

This one? I don't see your point I guess. I don't see how asking the system to feature me as soon as I do give more money, but leave me alone until I do have money, has anything to do with good or bad management.

Still, you've said you won't make the change, so I guess it doesn't matter.

James S. Huggins

to contact me: http://JSH.us/webring-email

< Prev 8   All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy