Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
WebRing Managers Community - Untitled document One of the original and largest Ring Manager rings, promoting individual WebRings since 1998

Forums     Login   Signup

WebRing Managers Community

Manager: wrug
WebRing Managers WebRing presents the WebRing Managers Forum, a place for WebRing Managers to discuss ideas, ethics, tactics, etc. This Forum is for WebRing discussion only and is closely moderated.

Sponsored Links

PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE PARTICIPATING
A Note on Pendings
  For those processing new submissions we'd like to offer these reminders/bit
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 3 of 3
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Automated Management - 01/31/2007
= = = = = = = = = =
I completed the process of cleaning up the ring I managed. As I previously posted, there were over 30 sites on my ring that either did not have the navigation code on their site or had code but it did not work correctly for various reasons. These sites were all flagged as "FAIL". I suspended all of these sites on 1/15 and sent emails explaining the situation. I heard back from only 2 site owners about their situation. Today (1/31) I deleted 32 sites that were still failing.
= = = = = = = = = =

Thanks. I appreciate the post.

I'm assuming that you have chosen NOT to use the system features to allow you to suspend and remove failing sites.

What advantages do you see for doing in actively yourself, as opposed to allowing the system to do it for you?

Would you recommend that others avoid the automated features?

James S. Huggins

to contact me: http://JSH.us/webring-email

Replied - 01/31/2007
What advantages do you see for doing in actively yourself, as opposed to allowing the system to do it for you?
================================================================
Great question! When I assumed this ring a few years back, it already had several sites that the previous manager had allowed to remain despite no nav code, etc. I have really taken my "responsibilities" seriously. I feel that I am a caretaker and not the "manager". Since this was the only ring I was managing, I wanted to do the job "right". My ring is about draft horses and many of the sites on my ring belong to non-technical, farm type of folks. I wanted to be as helpful to them as possible. If they don't understand how to install the ring nav code, for instance, I try to help them out. I felt that allowing the system to manage the suspension and deleting of sites was too mechanical. Many folks just don't understand and I felt I could help them. With only one ring and about 150 sites, I have the time to manage the ring myself. It really doesn't take very much time at all. However, if I had a lot more rings to manage, I would probably use the automated approach.

Replied - 02/05/2007
= = = = = = = = = =
With only one ring and about 150 sites, I have the time to manage the ring myself. It really doesn't take very much time at all. However, if I had a lot more rings to manage, I would probably use the automated approach.
= = = = = = = = = =

Thanks! I appreciate the answer.

Do you think that well thought customization of the system messages can help?

I've tried to provide help by adjusting the messages and linking to articles on my site (http://JSH.us/webring).

James S. Huggins

to contact me: http://JSH.us/webring-email

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy