Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
WebRing Managers Community - Untitled document One of the original and largest Ring Manager rings, promoting individual WebRings since 1998

Forums     Login   Signup

WebRing Managers Community

Manager: wrug
WebRing Managers WebRing presents the WebRing Managers Forum, a place for WebRing Managers to discuss ideas, ethics, tactics, etc. This Forum is for WebRing discussion only and is closely moderated.

Sponsored Links

PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE PARTICIPATING
A Note on Pendings
  For those processing new submissions we'd like to offer these reminders/bit
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 8 of 8
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Update and review of Webring 2.0 - 01/23/2007
Been with Webring for 7 years. In last 28 months paid webring over $1200 to promote healthy webring communities. Personally manage over 100 communities and quite well from what I understand from my members and the rating system of Webring itself.

I have some news and updates for any of you that might be considering upgrading to the new 2.0. I've found it is not what it promises. Webring states the new program will help drive highly targeted visitors to our sites. Well, this is something I have been doing for some time. I have a training class each week and work with doctors, lawyers, scientists, engineers and other professionals. These are people that have been joining my webring communities and looking to join other communities that show integrity.

I've been able to maintain my own advertising on a few of my sites for approx, 20 to 30 dollars a month. Well I now find my $50.00 I paid just this month has dwindled to nothing.

I am only making 10 cents each for new members coming in from the Webring Affiliate link. Webring has lied to us.

This nation is facing a health crisis only because people have been brainwashed. It appears that webring has now joined in that game. They state that to be a Webring 2.0 that it will cost you $36.00 a year. That is a lie. I paid for the 2.0 and now that they have taken over $74.00 from me I have automatically been bumped back to Webring 1.0 and this has happened only in the first 3 weeks of January.

Another "perk" for the webring 2.0 is that you will have your own "support" person. Wrong. Still waiting to hear from him.

I am not here to say that Webring does not have a right to do this to people, it is their business, just like the pharma companies..it is business. But to harm unsuspecting people and families with the pretense that they are there to "help" you, is still not right.

To my new invitees, I have recommended that you can upgrade to the 2.0, PLEASE DISREGARD that statement. I am posting here as I know that several of the new members also learned how to create their own communities and may be in this forum. I publically apologize for any harm done to any of you by Webring.

"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge" Hosea 4:6

thebulletin
www.advancedhealthplan.com

Replied - 01/24/2007
Understood.

This will help with the important decision I will make this weekend. When Rings with double-figure membership are deleted
'by the system' as inactive, I get very confused.

As a RM of nearly as long time as myself, does an 'active'
Ring as defined by WR mean one that sends traffic to the system?
We as RMs cannot make surfers click the WR navbar, after all...
Are we being penalized for web surfers' choices?

Replied - 02/05/2007
I then woke up this morning to yet another surprise. My account now has a deficeit balance of over $2.00. How could that happen? Well, here is where webring seems to be crossing a line. I see they have been charging me EVERYDAY for having hub ads. Now these at one time would have been valid...but when the money is gone in your account, you know Webring takes down your banner advertising on your hub page and replaces it with their advertising campaigns. I have been being charged continuously for Ring Hub advertising and unknowingly paying Webring to host their advertising while they are getting paid from both ends.

Now my legal background is limited but I do know there are those that have a good handle on the law and from what I can tell, it seems what webring is doing is actually illegal. It has now reached a level that some might call "extortion". If there is a better term to use here, please let me know.

So basically what is happening is that I am continually being billed for advertising whether I am advertising for me or for Webring. I am being charged on my account even when there is no money in there, they've reverted me back to Webring 1.0 and have set themselves up to be a debt collection service. Meaning that if I was to put more money into the account to gain back my Webring 2.0 or just to be able to advertise again, they would first apply that payment to services "not rendered".

It is a feeling of being held captive and it is frightening. I have 1,000's of hours building webring and encouraging others to join. Again. I apologize to those that have lost money here. I am committed to those I serve in my communities and hope there is a resolution to this "abyss". Hang in there if you can and be hopeful that the Webring management team can make some positive changes that will once again encourage the use of the Webring System itself.

thebulletin
www.AdvancedHealthPlan.com

Replied - 02/05/2007
Your accounting background is even more limited than your legal one it would seem. You are not charged for ads that we run.

In September and October all members were advised through the web site AND newsletter that beginning in 2007, or earlier (we waited until after 2007 was well under way), we would begin charging a "more fair market value" for running your own ads on the hubs of rings you manage. As promised, we began charging that fee in January - several months after giving notice and ample time to decide if the charges were worth it for your rings. The fee is pretty simple: $2.50 per thousand hub page views (robot and spider views are not recorded). So if a ring you manage gets 100 page views a day, your account is charged $.25.

You can look through your hub ad charges to see the details. If your account runs out of credit then during the nightly accounting the ring is assessed whatever fees accrues during that day and then the ads are turned off - and now additional fees are assessed to your account. If you leave things as is then you get daily emails and if your account does gain additional credit the ads will be show again - AS REQUESTED - and you account assessed the CPM fee again.

Replied - 02/05/2007
Sometimes things are just not as they appear. I am VERY good at accounting, would you like a resume? :) And I don't deny that my legal understanding of man's law is deficient.

I was under the impression that per your information posted for us at: http://dir.webring.com/h/benefits
that a Webring 1.0 member did not have "advertising on the hub page" option available. (See Below)

Membership Option Details
WebRing offers two types of membership, WebRing 1.0 that's free, as it's always been, and WebRing 2.0 that maximizes the WebRing Management Tools and provides personal service. Peruse the details below, and choose the one that suits you best.
WebRing 2.0 Membership
$36/year

Choose this option and take advantage of these perks:

* Enjoy priority and personalized support.
* Get direct assistance in placing the WebRing navigation code on your web site(s).
* Create and manage Communities
* Use WebRing CHAT and add a chat room to rings you manage.
* Access to additional web traffic tracking tools.
* Have expanded customization options.
* Control advertising.
* Earn income from Communities you manage.

Coming soon:

* Allow one of our support staff to assist in finding you the right Communities for your web site(s).
* Have your own WebRing.com email address.
* WebRing Instant Messaging.
* and more...

WebRing 1.0 Membership
No annual fee

Choose this option and you can:

* Add your web site(s) to Communities in the WebRing system. You may join up to 50 Communities per web site.
* Create and manage Communities.

thebulletin
www.AdvancedHealthPlan.com

Replied - 02/06/2007
You're right, 1.0 members do NOT have the ability to run hub ads. Since you could list off the contents of the benefits page you no doubt also read this page:

http://w.webring.com/h/hubadvertising

AND took careful note of our response to firestorm of complaints about our being "out for money" where we said all existing members had their existing rings grandfathered into 2.0 status so you wouldn't be punished by the new policies. Your membership and rings existed prior to the announcement of the change in policies, so your rings are "blessed" with 2.0 status.

Since one can only assume you thought that was not the case, but happily allowed your ads to continue showing on the rings you managed rather than either pointing out a potential problem or gracefully removing your ads so as not to take advantage of what you saw as a problem, that you are now complaining when the stated policy finally kicked. Perhaps be happy it wasn't phased in as originally stated - you got an extra month or so of very inexpensive ad space at our expense without a complaint from us.

Replied - 02/07/2007
In September and October all members were advised through the web site AND newsletter that beginning in 2007, or earlier (we waited until after 2007 was well under way), we would begin charging a "more fair market value" for running your own ads on the hubs of rings you manage. As promised, we began charging that fee in January - several months after giving notice and ample time to decide if the charges were worth it for your rings. The fee is pretty simple: $2.50 per thousand hub page views (robot and spider views are not recorded). So if a ring you manage gets 100 page views a day, your account is charged $.25.

That is a ten fold increase and unfortunately I have had to cease using this part of the service.

Up until around October I had ads running on every ring that I am
managing but there is no way I can recover the current advertising fees through my commissions. I think other ring managers have found themselves in the same situation.

Replied - 02/07/2007
It is a large increase. Unfortunately it had to be done and was long overdue, which is why we made the announcement well in advance of it's implementation. But it is something that will be reviewed during the course of 2007, and perhaps some accomodation can be made.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy