Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
WebRing Managers Community - Untitled document One of the original and largest Ring Manager rings, promoting individual WebRings since 1998

Forums     Login   Signup

WebRing Managers Community

Manager: wrug
WebRing Managers WebRing presents the WebRing Managers Forum, a place for WebRing Managers to discuss ideas, ethics, tactics, etc. This Forum is for WebRing discussion only and is closely moderated.

Sponsored Links

PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE PARTICIPATING
A Note on Pendings
  For those processing new submissions we'd like to offer these reminders/bit
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 3 of 3
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Time period between uploading new domain and Webring recognizing - 02/17/2008
Hi:

I created and uploaded a new domain on Friday. Have had nothing but error messages after adding its url to my webring id.

Today I noticed this result result on the site maintenance page: "Fetch = Page Not Found (404)"

A couple of hours later, I retested this url while contemplating what else I could do to resolve the problem assuming all along that I had done something wrong. Suddenly, that test result turned to "Fetch = Page Found" and the failure message disappeared.

THEORETICAL QUESTION:
How long should someone wait between registering and uploading a new domain and attempting to add its url to webring.org?

My friends "tested" the page on Friday evening and were able to see it so I assumed it could be seen all over the internet. Is there a time lag of some kind between different parts of the internet that would explain this problem?

An inquiring mind wants to avoid this problem next time I create a new website!

Diana Pederson

Replied - 02/17/2008
THEORETICAL QUESTION:
How long should someone wait between registering and uploading a new domain and attempting to add its url to webring.org?

My friends "tested" the page on Friday evening and were able to see it so I assumed it could be seen all over the internet. Is there a time lag of some kind between different parts of the internet that would explain this problem?

An inquiring mind wants to avoid this problem next time I create a new website!

Diana Pederson

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Alas, the answer is ... it depends. Not too long ago, it easily took a couple days for the details of a new/changed domain to propagate across the world to the various primary domain name servers. Today, with the primary registrars, it is not unusual for the domain name to propagate within an hour.

However, it is also not unusual for some particular domain name server to be undergoing maintenance, to have a hiccup or to otherwise fail. Depending on there an individual "points", that means many will find the new information, but some won't.

My rule is: try to add it as soon as YOU can "see it". But don't be upset if it takes 24 hours.

James S. Huggins
to contact me: http://JSH.us/webring-email

Replied - 02/18/2008
However, it is also not unusual for some particular domain name server to be undergoing maintenance, to have a hiccup or to otherwise fail. Depending on there an individual "points", that means many will find the new information, but some won't.

My rule is: try to add it as soon as YOU can "see it". But don't be upset if it takes 24 hours.

Ok, I understand a bit more now. It sounds to me like webring is on a "slow" part of the internet because it took 48 hours for it to be read by webring although I "tested" the page at least 100 times during that time period.

Thank you for this information. It explains more about how this entity we call the "internet" really works.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy