Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
WebRing Managers Community - Untitled document One of the original and largest Ring Manager rings, promoting individual WebRings since 1998

Forums     Login   Signup

WebRing Managers Community

Manager: wrug
WebRing Managers WebRing presents the WebRing Managers Forum, a place for WebRing Managers to discuss ideas, ethics, tactics, etc. This Forum is for WebRing discussion only and is closely moderated.

Sponsored Links

PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE PARTICIPATING
A Note on Pendings
  For those processing new submissions we'd like to offer these reminders/bit
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 6 of 6
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Anyone Developed Active Forum and/or Blog Here? - 12/08/2008
Hi:

Have any of you created a community here where the forum is really being used or where the blog is very active with comments being posted?

I have two communities that I want to develop. Would like to hear what experience others have had with this feature.

Replied - 12/08/2008
I turned off all my fora, and when I checked the active ones before doing so, there were no messages anyway. There was one exception, but the stuff in it was of no consequence. I haven't seen how to create a blog anywhere. Maybe you can tell me where that is. Unfortunately, I simply don't have time to monitor the fora, and it wouldn't matter how many rings I had, I still wouldn't. And in my experience, only ringmasters care anyway. Webmasters want to join and forget about it. In a sense, the only community we really have is with ringmasters. Webmasters don't seem to care. There are so many discussion groups out there, so their need to discuss things is well taken care of. A major reason for turning off fora is because that's where spammers often like to leave their messages. In the one case where there were messages, at least one of them was spam.

Replied - 12/08/2008
In a sense, the only community we really have is with ringmasters. Webmasters don't seem to care. There are so many discussion groups out there, so their need to discuss things is well taken care of.
= = = = = = = = = =
Well said, Pat. The purpose of webrings as originally conceived was to allow the creation of a community of sites so that a visitor to one could easily visit another, of the same attraction. In many ways this functionality made excellent sense because Google did not exist then. Today, if you wanted to find information on George Washington, the average Joe would just Google George and visit some sites. They would not expect any site that had great info to link them to other George sites. In addition, sites themselves have changed. If you want great info on GW it might be on a presidential site or a founding fathers site or an early American history site or even a holiday site (for President's day). So in many ways the search engine now substitutes for webrings for many things. Webrings, IMO, made more sense when they were like a club, when members knew members and when there was a community. As they have morphed into another tool of commerce to facilitate "being found" I believe they have lost some of that.

James S. Huggins

http://JSH.us/webring-email

Replied - 12/08/2008
Webrings, IMO, made more sense when they were like a club, when members knew members and when there was a community. As they have morphed into another tool of commerce to facilitate "being found" I believe they have lost some of that.

-------------------------------

If members (ring managers specifically, but members all together) were to put some effort into creating a community, it could work. Why can't it be a club again? Most likely, it's because people would rather spend their time complaining about how the rest of the world doesn't work or works against them. Why not be proactive and MAKE a community? It can be done! Really.

How about some suggestions FOR dlpwriter? Who's made a go of it? If you were going to build a REAL community (versus just clicking the right buttons) on WebRing what would YOU do?

Let's hear those great ideas!

Replied - 12/08/2008
Hi, uandmekids,

I have been with WebRing before they even were taken over by Yahoo! and I don't ever recall it being like a community or club. And I don't ever recall any kind of significant ongoing contact between the members of a given webring. In fact, WebRing cautioned us about using the mass email feature too much (which is the best way to keep in touch with ring members).

In my opinion, WebRings serve a different function. I communicate with individual ring members when needed, and have had extended contact with some of them. But I belong to a gazillion communities on the internet, and so does everyone else. I don't even belong to sites like FaceBook, but a lot of people do. I don't sense that there is a need for a community for each webring. It would be impossible for everyone to keep up with the gazillions of communities that would result anyway. I don't see a reason to complain about the lack of community interest on the part of ring members, and I never have. That's my take on it.

Replied - 12/08/2008
I don't offhand see that WebRing has just become a tool to facilitate commerce. Nearly all the webrings I have any connection to is just for interests; no commerce involved. I still find the WebRing system very convenient for finding sites with like interests. Most of the sites on Google are all over the map; they're not necessarily personal sites. I like looking at personal sites, and don't want to have to sort through Google to find them. That's my take on it, anyway. I think the niche for webrings is still very real and useful. But to me, it's never been a place to socialize.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy