Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
WebRing Managers Community - Untitled document One of the original and largest Ring Manager rings, promoting individual WebRings since 1998

Forums     Login   Signup

WebRing Managers Community

Manager: wrug
WebRing Managers WebRing presents the WebRing Managers Forum, a place for WebRing Managers to discuss ideas, ethics, tactics, etc. This Forum is for WebRing discussion only and is closely moderated.

Sponsored Links

PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE PARTICIPATING
A Note on Pendings
  For those processing new submissions we'd like to offer these reminders/bit
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 9 - 10 of 10
< Prev 8   All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Activity Points for SMS Credits - 12/23/2008
The point is, people aren't going to enforce a copyright on such a trivial thing. I am aware of copyright law, sufficiently to deal with it. I went down and studied the United States Code at one point. Don't worry about it. I have been changing them as I have time. If WebRing were worried about that issue, I'm sure they would have said so. And no, simply leaving it as-is is not evidence of intent to violate the copyright. Most of the time, copyright becomes an issue when a person is profiting from his own writings, and someone else comes along and starts to steal the work and sell it. It is VERY RARE for anyone else to be concerned. A suit would be expensive, as is registering the copyright in the first place, and without registering it, even though it exists, it's a lot harder to prove. It could be argued that the original writer contributed the writing to WebRing. I certainly have not written anything on a hub page that I think is worth protecting. The major copyright here is the software that WebRing has developed anyway. Now if for some reason I retained something YOU said, and you care, just tell me where, and I'll change it.

Replied - 12/23/2008
People are "funny." WebRing had to spend many, many thousands to fight a completely frivolous copyright claim. The DMCA clearly applied, yet it took a couple of years to get the individual to drop the case and admit we were faultless (primary defendent had a website that was patr of WebRing in Yahoo days, that was the only connection - code was still on page even though they had "dropped out") and we had no way of being compensated for the money we spent on defending ourselves.

Bottom line is...doesn't hurt to write descriptions in your own words, and find public domain icons, etc. especially since so many are terrible to begin with (full of join instructions, managers names, etc. that have nothing to do with content of ring).

< Prev 8   All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy